During this unprecedented time there are certain guidlines that must be followed for in-person lessons.
Due to Covid, I offer online lessons for my students. I also offer in-person classes these are conducted according to your comfort level. I have 2 pianos available, we can social distance and the pianos area is sanitized before each lesson.
Makeups | Rescheduling | Cancelations
Under the following circumstances, I will reschedule or allow a makeup lesson:
If I’m notified within 24 hours of our appointed lesson time
- If I for some reason miss our lesson
- Exposure to COVID-19
- Inability to connect due to bad Wifi (If the lesson is virtual)
- Family Emergencies i.e. a death in the family
I recognize your time is important, and you know more about your child than I do. Studies have proven that students progress faster when the parents are actively involved in their child’s education. That includes:
- Attending their lessons, both online and in person. Once a child reaches 10-12 years in age, parental attendance can be as needed.
- Children younger than 10 need parental help when practicing, especially in the days following a lesson.
If your child is fighting practicing let me know. This should be a positive learning experience, and there are many approaches and methods for learning.
Performing is an important part of the learning process. There will be recitals in the Winter and Spring.
- Due to COVID-19, these recitals will be conducted through recordings.
- Other great performance opportunities are local competitions and classes.
- A full-size electric piano is acceptable if it is fully equipped with a pedal and weighted keys, and if you are actively trying to obtain an acoustic instrument.
- This instrument should be located in a place that allows the student to focus without constant distraction.
- If in person, the instrument will be provided.
You will need 2 screens
- To sit in front of you at the piano to see me.
- Placed to the side giving me full view of your hands and posture.
Recommendations for a better online lesson
- If your internet is slow, ask members of your house to stay off the internet for the duration of our lesson.
- If you’re connected directly to your house’s ethernet it greatly improves the connection.
- If you use a laptop, plug an external mic into it for better audio quality and consider adding external speakers as well.
- I expect students to practice a minimum of 5 days a week.
- I expect thorough and thoughtful practice that implements what’s being learned in lessons.
- If needed I will assign practicing durations based on individual student needs.
- When I’m speaking, the student’s hands should be off the keys, and they should be listening attentively.
- Students should bring all learning materials we’re working out of to their lessons.
Given the current situation with COVID-19, I will provide links to the books that students need access to for lessons. These should be acquired within 2 weeks of notice.